Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hope persists...

Well, Lucy hasn't opened her eyes yet today. I know it was a lot to hope for, but I have a feeling at least by tomorrow night she should be able to open at least one eye a smidge. (Smidge is a Southern unit of measurement, y'all! haha)

The rest of the afternoon she did really well. Being the semi-immature parents that we are, we pretended like Nina (our dog) was in the room and we were like, "Nina, go get your ball" and stuff like that BUT we only did it because Lucy LOVES Nina and as soon as we started saying her name, Lucy started smiling and saying, "Hey" and acting excited. Oh, the things you can get away with when your child can't see temporarily. ;-)

Teresa (her Gigi) stayed with her tonight while Wesley and I went and grabbed some Pad Thai from Doc Chey's for dinner, and then again while we ate the Carvel ice cream cake with my parents who had come back to give me my birthday gift. I got some sweet cards and awesome presents from quite a few people, so you know who you are -- THANK YOU! I won't call this my favorite birthday ever, but I have so much to be thankful for.

This is my first birthday with a baby (I was pregnant last year for my birthday but, you know, my first birthday with Lucy outside the womb!). We're in the middle of a process of healing that will hopefully mean no more surgery and no more problems for Lucybird. So for that, and for the amazing outpouring of love and support I've received, I am thankful and humbled and I can celebrate that any day of the year -- no birthday needed! Plus, Wesley promised we could celebrate my birthday again when we get out of the hospital. His birthday is this coming Saturday (Nov. 27th) so we'll have a double birthday celebration ["Double birthday, double birthday, 'cross the sky, yeah, yeah, yeah, so intense."]

Since Lucy is sleeping now I guess I will try to lay down and get some sleep. No word yet on getting into a regular room. I think we've given up on that. Until tomorrow ....

Happy birthday to me...

1 comment:

  1. "Bull dogs don't have wallet ya'll....!!" Or was that pitt bulls???

    ReplyDelete