Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Potty training, day 1

I thought I would just jot down how things went yesterday (the first day we tried potty training) so I can come back and read this for posterity.  I'm sure no one else is very interested.  haha.

Our system is very simple:  I bought some panties for her, and some M&M's and jellybeans.  We've had a little potty for her for a while.  I originally set a timer on my iPod for every 15 minutes, and I let her pick the ringtone she liked the most.  She did really great at first.  No accidents for the first few hours, and she even ran to the potty before the timer went off and took off her own panties and went pee-pee.  Then I don't know what happened ... I even set the timer to go off every 7-8 minutes because she started having accidents.  I don't know if she was too focused on playing but it seemed like every time she never made it until the timer went off.  Then I had to put Ian down for a nap, which means I go nurse him in his room and lay him down.  It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes, so honestly I expected to come back and she have had an accident.  But she had peed in three different places and had pooped in her panties during that time.  So after that I just put her in a diaper because it was naptime and I needed her to have a good, uninterrupted nap time for both my sanity and hers.

I also had a very complicated dinner I was making last night so after she got up from her nap I let her wear a diaper the rest of the day.  Call me lazy, but I needed the break.

So that is how our first day went.  Not the greatest, but I know she understands what to do, and I also realize it's the first day EVER in her life that she's been asked to pee-pee or poo-poo anywhere else but her diaper, so that's a big thing to get used to in just one day.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely takes time! Potty training is probably my LEAST favorite part about parenting so far! haha I put if off with Addison until I KNEW she was ready. I honestly don't understand the people that try and do it so early!! It's such an inconvenience in the beginning because you can be in a grocery store with a cart full and the second they say you have to go...you have to go. Or in a car, etc. haha

    ReplyDelete